- The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh has unveiled the 'Ekatmata Ki Pratima' or 'Statue Of Oneness' of Adi Shankaracharya in Omkareshwar.
- The 108-ft tall statue is situated on the Mandhata Mountain in Omkareshwar.
- The state cabinet had approved this project last year to celebrate the life and philosophy of the 8th-century Hindu philosopher and saint.
- Omkareshwar is located on the picturesque banks banks of the Narmada river which is around 80 km away from the city of Indore.
- Omkareshwar is renowned for being one of the twelve Jyotirlinga shrines, considered the most sacred abodes of Lord Shiva.
About Adi Shankaracharya (788-820 AD):-
- Adi Shankaracharya, who was born in the region Kaladi along Periyar river which now comes under Kerala, is said to have arrived at Omkareshwar as a young monk.
- He resided in this sacred city for four years and received his education through his guru Govind Bhagwadpad.
- He embraced Advaita Vedanta, challenging prevailing philosophical traditions of his time, including Buddhism and Jainism.
- In accordance with his spiritual convictions, he departed Omkareshwar at the age of 12 and embarked a journey across the nation, disseminating the teachings of Advaita Vedanta philosophy and elucidating its principles to the people.
- His scholarly contributions include commentaries on 10 Upnishads, the Bhahmasutra, and the Gita.
- Metal casting took place in China's Nanchang City, with the components subsequently shifted to Mumbai.
- The idol itself is crafted from Bronze, containing 88% copper, 4% zinc, and 8% tin, as well as it boasts a high-quality steel internal structure.
- Weighing an impressive 100 tonnes, the statue was brought to life by a dedicated team of Indian artists, sculptors and engineers.
The 'Advait Lok' Project:-
- The Chief Minister also laid the foundation stone of 'Advait Lok', a project valued at Rs. 2,200 crore.
- The project will maintain a museum and will be situated on Omkareshwar Mandhata Hill.
- In the Adi Shankar Museum, the life and philosophy of Acharya Shankar will be displayed through the most modern and innovative ways.
- All structures will have visible imprints of Indian culture along with traditional Indian art and architecture.
Source - Indian Express