- The Sangeet Natak Akademi Amrit Awards ceremony honored individuals above 75 years of age for their exceptional contributions to music, dance and theatre.
- On the Occasion of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, the Vice-President of India presented these awards to 84 artists who haven't been accorded by any national honor in their career so far.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Amrit Awards is a national honor bestowed on performing artists as well as teachers and scholars in the field of performing arts.
- The recipients are selected by Akademi's General Council.
- The honor carries a purse money of Rs. 1,00,000/- besides a Tamrapatra and Angavastram.
Sangeet Natak Akademi:-
- It is also known as National Academy of Music, Dance, and Drama, is an autonomous organization under Ministry of Culture.
- It was created by a resolution of the Ministry of Education with P. V. Rajmannar as its first Chairman.
- It was established in 1953 with the aim of promoting and preserving India's traditional performing arts, including music, dance and theatre.
- It is fully funded by government for implementing its schemes and programmes.
Source - Press Information Bureau